Sunday, April 11, 2010

Three Year Olds and the Horses


During Spring Break (which seems like a million years ago) Deacon and Charly stayed overnight at our house. I wanted to take them to feed the goats so we got some carrots and headed out. The goats, however, were not in their usual spot so we needed to find other animals to feed. We stopped at one corral of horses and they wouldn't come to the fence. At the next corral the two huge horses were more than willing to hurry right over to the fence. Charly said, "No way, I want to go home!" and Deacon said, "Hurry, give me a carrot!!" I handed him carrots as fast as I could and the horses ate as fast as they could. The amazing thing about this is that Charly is usually fearless and the leader in risky activities while Deacon is afraid of everything and runs when you say 'boo.' I tried to teach Deacon to put the carrot on the flat palm of his hand but he just held the carrot between his thumb and index finger, he still has all of his fingers. Apparently horses lips are very sensitive.

No comments: